Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Laundering 100% Cotton Sheets

Along with the accommodation came 100% cotton sheets.
I have had them before... I find them hard to launder.

I solved my problem at home.
I had the colour of the bedspread in the picture at home.
They took light wear there.
The ones I have here are white.
We work on a site with red soil.
The sun is fierce, we use a ten hour sunscreen.
It has a warning on the bottle: "May stain clothing."
Our clothes are stained...  
If every bit of sunscreen and dust is not washed off skin/hair when we shower or bath,
the sheets and pillowcases show it.

I have solved my problem here.
I put them in the cotton setting of my machine and click it to cold wash.
I let the machine run for about five minutes to thoroughly mix laundry and washing solution.
Then I turn off the machine and go to the site.

When I get home I set the machine to run the full cycle - cold again.
Out it comes and goes into the clothes basket wet.
The following morning into the tumble drier - 
pillowcases first for about three to five minutes, until they are partly dry.
I take them out, flatten them on the bed and let them dry.
The poly/cotton ones get shaken out and hung on the clothes horse to dry.
I use the poly/cotton ones for under pillowcases to help spare the pillows from stains.

Then into the drier goes the fitted sheet.
When partly dry - about half probably - about three to five minutes maybe, 
I take it out and fold in half, and put on lower part of the spare bed, flatten, 
and leave to finish drying.


Finally into the drier goes the top sheet until about half dry.
I fold it in half, flatten it with my hands and let it dry.
And off to the site I go again.


When I come home, the sheets are dry and ready to fold and store away.
The 100% cotton pillowcases get a light iron, are folded and stored.

That's how I have been inspired to do it - for now.
My sheets and pillowcases stay white, and I only lightly iron the two 100% cotton pillowcases.

No comments:

Post a Comment