Friday, May 8, 2026

Chicken Soup

 WHEN I WAS IN A WHEELCHAIR FOR 6 WEEKS 
AFTER CRACK-FRACTURING MY PELVIS,
Lauren Heydenrych brought us some chicken soup one night.

Simply the BEST!
Thank you Lauren!
We make it often!
We've shared the recipe many times!

Chicken Soup – Lauren Heydenrych – Judy Bray’s method.

Saute together-

1 large chopped onion
2 large grated carrots

Add-

2 chicken breasts
1 litre water (including vegetable stock which I often have)
2 chicken stock cubes

When chicken is cooked, take the breasts out and cool
When chicken is cool, shred

Set aside in 2 portions - 
shredded chicken

Set aside - 
Some ladles of the onion/carrot/stock mix

Mix together -
2 tablespoons corn starch (Maizena)
Barbecue or savoury sauce (I use 2 Steers sachets of BBQ sauce)
1 litre milk (or 3/4 or more litre water if you’re going to use milk powder – I do.) 
(If you use milk powder 
Reserve 1/4 litre or less water with milk powder for 1 litre)
(I found adding the water with milk powder now has resulted in the milk curdling.)

Mix together and cook - 

1 ½ cups frozen peas
1 tin creamstyle sweetcorn

Set aside - 
peas, and corn mixture in 2 portions- 

Set aside-
½ cup cream 

Add first half the shredded chicken to the carrots/onion mix
Stir in the corn starch/sauce mixture (milk/water) to the carrots/onion mix
Heat
Thicken the soup

When soup is hot

Add a 1/2 portion of cooked peas and corn
Stick blend to smooth 

When stick-blended soup is hot and thickened,

Add hot 2nd portion of peas/corn
Add heated 2nd portion of shredded chicken
(I like a partly chunky soup)
(If you are using milk powder, add the ¼ cup or less (heated) water with all the milk powder now)

Just before serving
Add ½ cup cream (It sometimes curdles if added too soon)

Delicious – we think!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment