Friday, November 7, 2014

In the Quiet of the Night

Thursday evening:

Glenn and Vi are asleep...

And I am bright eyed and bushy tailed!

The last couple of days I have been reminded of when I broke my ankle.  I sat a lot.  I watched a lot of television.  I read a lot.  I listened to the radio a lot.  For six weeks!

In the last couple of days I see the progress Vi is making.  She moves more surely.  She speaks less tremulously.  She still moves slowly, but less slowly.  She is more independent.  She has been out of bed the last two days.  She has sat in the lounge, gone for a walk down the passage, then returned.

We have made some minor tweaks to our furniture re-arrangement. 
When she was in hospital we got her a portable radio tuned into Classic FM.  She has lovely earphones borrowed from Glenn.  She is using them at home too.
Her phone from the flat picks up signal in our house, so she has her phone next to her chair in the lounge too.  And some tissues, and some water in a bottle, and a toothpick.  When we have what we need life recuperating is so much more tolerable!

After supper we push the computer chair to outside the bathroom.  After she has brushed her teeth in the evening I push the swivel chair into the bathroom ready for the morning routine.  She can sit and wash.  She is actually thrilled with the convenience of the bathroom for her.


I looked online to see how to wash hair for someone less able.  I found a couple of youtubes  (is that how you say it?) showing how.  Amazing!  So we will try that tomorrow.  I am sure she will feel a whole lot better with freshly washed hair.  It's been two weeks...  Her hair actually looks well enough I am surprised to say... but it's time!

I also have a portable radio that I carry around the house and garden with me as I attend to my responsibilities.  I asked Glenn if he had some more earphones.  He had two more sets!  I chose the lovely ones with the longer cord.  So now we can each listen to what we want to listen to - without disturbing each other!  I like to listen to Radio Pulpit in the morning, SAFM and Classic FM during the day.

With Glenn retired I was thinking of getting earphones because he likes to sit in the lounge sometimes when I am preparing supper and listening to the news and discussions of the day.  I was used to having the house to myself most of the time when he worked!  I'm not sure these will suit me best, when I worked I had small ones that fit into my ear.  I cut the one ear piece off and just plugged in one of the ear pieces so I could hear what was going on around as well.  I might want that for now too.  I will see as I go along.  For today, these earphones worked well enough.

Actually adapting to our circumstances for now has been relatively painless - long may it continue to be manageable.

I'm off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment