Saturday, March 28, 2015

Musings - The Power of Water

I visited the Botanic Garden again.
 
On my journey there I saw they had done extensive repairs to a road nearby that
frequently gets washed away when there is a lot of rain.
 
Over the years it has been mended and mended.
Now it seems they have done a thoughtful and thorough job -
even with a ridge at the top of the road to divert some of the stream.
 
Then I got to the garden and walked towards the bridge that was washed away
a few years ago, and the gabions that were sheared away last year.
 
I see they have redigned the new gabions, broadened the waterway and
built an earthbank...
 

I loved the morning glories flourishing all around - taking advantage of the
abundant rain of the last little while.


The tree that was lightly tinged with Autumn last week is now deeply Autumned.
 

I loved the photographer taking pictures of this little family.
 

The lovely waterfall.
 
When I see what is downstream of the waterfall I see the power of water -
two washed away bridges that I know of...
sheared away gabions...
washed away banks and trees.
 

A new metal 'sculpture' of bulrushes.


I paused in one of my favourite spots to be surround-sounded with flowing water.
I am reminded again of the power of water to soothe my sometimes troubled,
sometimes too hurried, sometimes open and appreciative soul.


I'm grateful for the people who note the devastating effect of water in spate
and work with it rather than try to work against it.
They channel the torrents more and more effectively so that the
waters do not disrupt the rights of some others to co-exist - respectfully.
 
I hope I can do that too in my personal floods and those of others around me.

1 comment:

  1. In May 2001 two colleagues and I traveled through 7 of the 9 provinces of South Africa visiting areas that had more than double the normal annual rainfall during the preceding twelve months. I was amazed at the power of water. We saw roads, bridges and other things destroyed or damaged. Chunks of concrete larger than a bus rolled down rivers. It was humbling to compare the grand and glorious things constructed by man, and thento consider how God simply holds up thousands of cubic metres of water in the sky that are then released, they fill dams to overflowing, and rush down the rivers, and simply wash away the mighty yet puny constructions of our fellow humans.

    ReplyDelete