Saturday, February 2, 2019

Mexican Tamale Pie


Saute together:
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped green peppers

Add:
1 small teaspoon chilli powder or 1 tablespoon curry powder

Add and brown:
750 grams minced beef or chicken

Mix together and add to above - simmer 20 minutes:
1 can tomato puree or tomato and onion mix
1 can whole corn or fresh corn cut off the cob
1 sachet tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Fold in:
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Pour into baking dish
Top with mashed potato and grill until golden brown
Serve with Cornbread and a green salad
And/or sweet pumpkin

(The original recipe had a mielie-pap topping rather than mashed potato.)

Variation:
If I have some left-over mixed vegetables I use them on their own instead of corn only.

Instead of the tomato puree I use a tin of braai relish 
or a bottle of Roast Veg Pasta sauce.

To my mashed potatoes I add 1 or 2 pureed carrots (Thank you Virgin Atlantic Airlines) and/or ½ or 1 cooked and de-pipped gem squash.

Since some do not like mashed potatoes - 
I serve them separately so those who want them can take.
For those who do not like cheese - 
serve in a dish and those who want cheese can sprinkle it on top.

I buy a bag of gem squash, pierce them ( they can explode - not pretty!) and cook them.
I let them cool, cut, depip, scrape out flesh and put in 1 gem squash portions in the freezer.

When they are frozen I pop them out of the bowls and put them in a plastic bag.
I take out what I need when I want it.
I always add a gem squash to my mashed potatoes - 
The mashed potatoes are a lovely golden colour - and it adds a vegetable!

Thanks Joyce Levy and the first Sheila Bibb for the original Recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment