Monday, May 4, 2020

What Helps Me Be Strong?


Sunday Afternoon – May 3rd 2020 

I was called as the Discovery Ward Relief Society President last Sunday.  
It’s been a week of getting to know what’s changed in Relief Society administration, and finding out about many of our Sisters that I don’t know yet, choosing counsellors and a secretary, proposing them, and making contact with them – two of whom I do not know yet.  
I realized today that if I walked past them in the street, I would not know them.  Sobering…!  
A brave new chapter…  And on we go.  
How will we make meetings happen?  
How will we conduct our business in these circumstances…? 
We’ll find our way…

I’ve always wanted to attend “BYU Women’s Conference.”  
Because of Covid 19 affecting the whole world, this year BYU Women’s Conference was a digital event.  
I got to spend about six hours on Saturday watching the Conference.  
What a spiritual feast!  
I look forward to sharing some of parts of the sessions with those who might be interested as time allows.

We are now on Stage 4 of lock-down.  
I’m not sure what has changed – except that we are all required to wear cloth or other effective face masks when we are out and about for essential shopping and visits to doctors and other essential journeys.  
I’ll find out on a need-to-know basis, or I’ll hear over the radio or internet.  
What a wonderful day to live in!  I’m glad to live now.

This week’s question…  Who helps me be stronger when I need to be?  In what way?

I’ve been thinking a lot about that…

My Heavenly Father helps me be strong when I need to be.
I know I’m His Daughter.   
I’ve made covenants with Him.  I want to keep them. 

I am a Disciple of Jesus Christ.  He helps me be stronger when I need to be.
The more I learn about Him, the more I want to be His Disciple – want to follow Him.

These pictures help me remember to be strong:




















  






















Prophets, Apostles and those that speak in General Conference help me to be strong.
So have those who have articles printed in the Church magazines.
They help me see what I otherwise might not see.

My husband helps me be stronger when I need to be. 
I have learnt some “street smarts” and to be more realistic, down to earth, from him. 
I’ve learnt lots about how many in the world think, speak and behave from him and his family.
It’s been a truly useful education.
I’m bolder than I would otherwise have been able to be.

My children have helped me be stronger when I’ve needed to be.
I’ve gained insights and experience from these four very different and dearly beloved human beings.

FAMSA and LifeLine have helped me be stronger when I need to be.
I’ve gained deeply valuable information and experience working for them/ with them.
I’ve learnt how to manage, living in this world, speaking in terms they might better understand.

My Tai Chi group helps me be physically stronger than I might otherwise be.
My WeighLess group and leader also motivates me to be strong and helps me manage my weight as well as supportive and encouraging tips like these almost every day.






















My beloved family and friends are truly valuable to me. 
Although I don’t see or hear from them often, I know they are there.
They give me honest feed-back.  That’s precious to me.

Now my Relief Society presidency Sisters will also help me be strong when I need to be.
Also my Relief Society Sisters have been a source of valuable learning, a refuge and strength to me through many years.  I’ve learnt a lot, about a lot, from and with them.

I’m reading Paul’s letters in the New Testament at the moment.  He helps me be stronger. 
So does Abraham in the Old Testament, and Jacob, son of Lehi, in the Book of Mormon.

Actually, there are many people I know, and many I don’t personally know, that help me be strong when I need to be.  
Joyce Meyer’s ten or so minutes in the morning on Radio Pulpit has been a great blessing in my life.
Bongi Gwala on SAFM.  
Oh… too many wise ones over these many, many years to remember and mention…  
I’m grateful for those who have lived great lives and accomplished many types of great deeds and shared their experiences.

I just hope I can be strong for my whole life. 
I also know that though I am weak I am strong. 
I also know that my weaknesses can be turned into my strengths.

I’m grateful for those from whom I’ve been able to borrow strength in my years leading to now.
Among them the police, lawyers, doctors, homeopaths, physicians, financial advisors, Bishops, supervisors, professors and others.

What makes me stronger from them all?
I’ve learnt how I want to be, and how I don’t want to be. 
I’ve learnt to be a better woman, wife and mother, in-law, grandmother and great-grandmother.  
I’ve gained vocabulary, and increased comprehension of so much, and increased integrity and maturity!  
I’ve learnt to love more, be more compassionate, patient, understanding, grateful, balanced, imperturbable, confident, genuine, peaceful, temperate, open, happy and cooperative than I used to be able to be. 
I’ve learnt to mind my own business more. 
I’ve learnt to let other people take care of their own business more. 
I’ve learnt to be healthier than I used to be able to be. 
I’ve learnt to enjoy my every-day life more than I used to be able to. 
I’ve learnt what is fun for me.
I’ve learnt to respect myself and others more. 
I’ve learnt to be a better home-maker and property-owner than I used to be able to be.
I’ve learnt to be a better citizen than I used to be able to be.

I love that, imperfect though each one of us is, we can learn, live and, love together. 
I love that I’ve learnt to set reasonable limits for myself and others too.
I’m glad I learnt about
Firm, Fair and Friendly;
Guide, Protect and Bless;
Verbal, Vocal and Visual;
Submissive, Aggressive and Assertive;
Persecutor, Rescuer and Victim;
Problem-solving, Appropriate and Flexible;
Green, Yellow and Red;
Correlate, Reduce and Simplify.
And many more!!!

What a journey I’m on! 
I’m glad I’m making it. 
I’m learning to be myself. 
I’m glad to be who and where I am at the moment.
I’m glad to get to know each of you better too. 

Onward, ever onward… Stronger, ever stronger… Always sufficient for our needs.
Carry on carry on, carry on – as long as I am able and well as I’m able… mind, body and spirit.
This from off my fridge...













No comments:

Post a Comment