Sunday, June 7, 2020

Changes I've Made That I Am Proud Of


Sunday afternoon – June 7th 2020 – Changes I’m Proud Of

It’s been a week of attending to medical and physical issues and resting - lots.

On Monday I finally phoned the chiropractor. 
During our settling in when we moved back I developed a sore back.
First it was “So much to do…”
Then I phoned the chiropractor – “He’s closed already for the year…”
I found another close to home.
And in two visits he couldn’t attend to the trouble spot.
And - he was too rough for me to go back.

Then it was lock-down…
So I’ve needed to lie down and rest… a lot on some days… to manage my discomfort.
And this week of level 3 lock-down starting “It’s time…!”
I phoned the chiropractor I’ve been going to for years.
Yes, he’s working again.
“Bring your own gown.  We’re not allowed to give out gowns here at the moment.”
So I visited on Monday.  He got the spot.
I still needed lots of rest though.
And again on Thursday I made the 12km trip to Blackheath again.
I’m enjoying daily-increasing ease.
What a relief!
And…  a sty has formed again…  I had a host of them in 2019 in KZN.  nuisance…

And Glenn’s been visiting doctors too – three visits this week.
He phoned the diabetic doctor – she couldn’t see him until the middle of the week.
So he phoned the GP.  He could see him on Monday.
He saw his GP again later in the week for a follow-up appointment.
And in the middle of the week he visited the diabetic doctor.
We hope all visits prove to be helpful…
Hopefully he’ll also find his way to more comfortable physical functioning.
We’re fearfully and wonderfully “made” aren’t we!

I’m grateful for Doctors when we need them!
I’m grateful for every day of more comfortable getting around
and doing what I want to do and need to do.

What changes have I made that I’m proud of? 
How/in what way was it hard/easy to change?

I feel like I’ve always wanted to be better and wiser.
Less wasting my time, more relishing and cherishing each day.
I’ve felt like an adventurer, an explorer in a way.
I feel I’m on a hero’s journey with all its vicissitudes.
But, on the other hand I want to enjoy the journey too…
I want to go at a pace I want to go, and have some fun too.
Well, what I call fun…  I like to read and learn every day.
And pause to wonder and wander along the way.
Appreciate the light and gorgeous colours of the day,
and the wonderful textures and dancing shadows…

When I wake up in the morning and open the curtains I say “Hello Day!”
I’m grateful for my life. 
I love living now. 
I’m glad to be able to find out many things I want to know.
I’m amazed to be so fortunate in my life. 
I want to use my personal gifts and talents to help others along as I’m able.

I’m thankful for those brave, wise and generous souls who’ve walked alongside me when I needed them, and known how to lift and enlighten me momentarily, and sensed when to withdraw and let me carry on learning in my own way, and living my life.

If I have to choose the one change I’ve made that I’m proud of…  It’s the progress in myself I am aware of by daily dipping into the Addiction Recovery Program material.  I’m aware of the inner journey I’ve been able to be a part of.  I’m grateful for the honesty and vulnerability of those who compiled the material.  I’ve valued the few opportunities I’ve had to attend recovery meetings. 

Has it been hard… or easy? Neither really.  It just felt like it “fit” me in so many ways I couldn’t put into words.  I’ve just chosen to continuously reflect on the outlined principles, and worked at it a paragraph or two at a time almost every day since 2006.  Better later in my life than never!

As I reflect on my one individual life I get to live, and love to live, I’m reminded of the poem “One Solitary Life.”  I’m glad for His Solitary Life lived to His end with integrity.  I choose to be His disciple.  I hope I’ll be able to live my one precious life with increasing integrity.  I feel like I’m making progress…

And thank you Mother Teresa for reminding me how I want to live my one precious life for as long as I am able…  And I don’t really want to be in the lime-light.  And perhaps if I wasn't I might want to be…  How individual, interesting and complex we each are!  

What changes have you made that your're proud of?

I love you!

Mom / Judy / Gran Judy

Hermann Karl Hesse (2 July 1877 – 9 August 1962) was a German-born Swiss poet, novelist, and painter. His best-known works include his explorations of an individual's search for authenticity, self-knowledge and spirituality. In 1946, he received the Nobel Prize in Literature.

Vicissitudes: unpredictable changes or variations that keep occurring in life, fortune, etc; shifting circumstances; ups and downs.


James Allan Francis was an early-twentieth century American pastor who authored a handful of books.
He is also the “anonymous” author who stands behind the famous poem, “One Solitary Life.” 

Mother Mary Teresa Bojaxhiu (26 August 1910 – 5 September 1997), honoured in the Catholic Church as Saint Teresa of Calcutta, was an Albanian-Indian Roman Catholic nun and missionary. She was born in Skopje (now the capital of North Macedonia), then part of the Ottoman Empire. After living in Skopje for eighteen years, she moved to Ireland and then to India, where she lived for most of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment