Thursday, March 18, 2021

Humility...


Excerpt from the South African Association of Retired Persons (SAARP) 
newsletter  March 2021

“Without humility, you are unable to learn” Laszlo Bock  

HUMILITY:

Richard Feynman (American Physicist,) with his curiosity and growth mindset, certainly saw no shame in admitting his own limitations – and welcomed this intellectual humility in others.

‘I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it’s much more interesting to live not knowing anything than to have answers which might be wrong,’ he told the BBC in 1981.

‘I have approximate answers, and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything.’

“The Intelligence Trap: Revolutionise your Thinking and Make Wiser Decisions” by David Robson

When I read this I thought 
"This describes me to me in the most accurate words I've been able to identify so far... 
how I honestly feel about... everything...?"

Then a flash thought... "Is this pride of another sort...?"
Perhaps.  I don't think so at this point.
I don't talk about my "not knowing" most things much.
But... there's little I honestly know.

I know, somehow, that God, my Father Heaven, loves me.
I know, somehow, that I'm a person of worth.
I know I honestly try the best I know how with the knowledge and capacity I have.
I know I tried the best I knew how with the knowledge and experience I then had.

More than that... I don't know.
I hope...
I trust...
I carry on.

And my life is good.
Every day is good.
I'm grateful for my health of body, mind and spirit.
I'm grateful to my core to live in these wonderful days.

Of course there are longings I have, empty spaces that I have.
And I continue on in gratitude and hope.

After visiting the Botanic Gardens on Tuesday and being with my Tai Chi class 
I drove home a back road way.
I came across a patch of Cosmos.
Oh, I love Cosmos!
Memories in abundance associated with travelling on holiday 
with our children each fading Summer.
I stopped.  I took some photos and just enjoyed the immediate Time Out Of Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment