Monday, September 19, 2016

Dustbin Created

The search for a suitable dustbin for the space I wanted to put it!
I needed the bin to be unobtrustive, neat and functional.
I wanted it to not shout "I am a dustbin!"
This is the bin for recycling sort of waste.

I have another little bin on the counter for wet and smelly sort of waste.
The little one is emptied more often, before it smells.
You can see my counter bin (waste-paper bin actually) beyond the dish drying rack,
I line it with old smaller plastic bags.
It is also very convenient and unobtrusive.


After MUCH exploring
I found one that 'sort of' would do the job, 
but I didn't want to pay the price for it -
double the price of regular large utility dustbins.

So I began to figure out how I could create
what I had in my mind for my space.

When our gas braai was delivered in a sturdy cardboard box.
I thought
"This is tall enough, but too deep."

I cut and stuck together with packing tape.
"Now, what to cover the whole lots with?"

I explored wallpaper, contact paper, vinyl wallpaper.
Didn't feel right.
Then I thought of fabric.
I went to the wonderful fabric shop close by I have discovered. 
After a couple of trips there thinking and planning
I decided on vinyl upholstery 'fabric'.
Most is stuck on with heavy-duty wallpaper paste,
and the finishing edges secured with  contact adhesive.

In the end... I paid a lot more than the one I initially turned down,
and got myself a dustbin that does what I want it to.

I put the lid on when we have visitors, but otherwise
it is fine to just stand there and do its job.




 

A niggling irritant attended to!
Happy Day!
Happy me!

Now to get the dining table chairs re-upholstered...
One thing at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment