Thursday, September 29, 2016

Tom - and The Chair Project

When we moved here from Westville we chose to bring 
the smaller wooden table and four chairs with us for inside the flat.
We didn't sit on them there, the table had bags of our stuff on it.
We decided not to unpack too many things because we knew we would be moving soon.
Two of the chairs were out, but we didn't sit on them.
Two of the chairs were stacked in a storage area.

When we got here and wanted to use the chairs...
To our dismay, the two in the storage area had broken seats!
We are sure the Durban Mission didn't know about the broken chairs
or they would have told us.
Then I noticed that one of the stored chairs was also a different design 
and had a different seat padding pattern, and one of the legs was broken.

Darn I like the design of the chairs!
I feel quite fondly towards the different one too!  
At home I would have taken the seats to the upholsterer I use often.
Glenn would have sorted the broken leg.

Our project manager authorised the purchase of four new chairs.
Darn!  And thank you too... I like these chairs!
In my sorting out the curtains for the flat I found the name of
an upholsterer.
I sent him and another person I saw advertising in the newspaper
details of what I needed and asked for a quote.
No response from either of them!

In our Berea Ward we have a generous lady who knows many people in the area.
 I sent her an sms asking if she knew a good and reasonable upholsterer.
Yes, she did.  She gave me his phone number.

I sent him and sms asking where and when I could meet him to discuss the 
restoring and recovering of the four chair seats.

Tom phoned back in the morning.
Lovely voice!
We made an arrangement to meet at his premises.
I went there with the chair seats.
After chatting a while while he calculated, I thought
"This is my type of guy!  I like to do business with his sort of person."
He gave me a quote for four new wooden bases,
new sponge and recovering.
I was thankful and relieved.  It was affordable.

I went and selected the fabric, took it to him and today we fetched the seats.

I like Tom.  Eccentric, genuine, no frills, knows his value.
I will recommend him to all around here who need re-upholstery.

I am delighted with my four new chair seats!
They are more comfortable than they were before since
the sponge layer is thicker.

I'm so glad I could keep my three and one different chairs!
My heart is happy!
Thank you Tina!
Thank you Tom!

Before:


After - We have three of these chairs.


And my dear different one!
As one visitor said "If you hadn't told me, I would not have noticed it is different."
Indeed, not many people would notice..



So now the patio chairs are out on the patio again.
They served us well while we sorted this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment