Monday, March 2, 2020

Chakalaka Chicken Recipe


Chakalaka Chicken – Very Easy!
This recipe came to me from Ronell (Dicks) Wrench (Steve Wrench’s wife.)

2 cups uncooked rice – spread in a baking dish/pan
Salt - sprinkle over rice

3 – 5 chicken breasts – (or cubed or minced beef) space evenly on rice
1 tin tomato and onion mix – spread over rice and chicken breasts
1 tin mild and spicy chakalaka – spread over rice and chicken
2 tins water – pour gently into dish

Bake uncovered 180C for an hour

Remove chicken, shred, return to dish.
 (I let the chicken cool enough so I can finger-shred it.)
(Add more liquid if necessary.)
Serve hot! - with green and/or yellow vegetables and mixed green salad.

Enjoy!

(When I served this last week to Nadia, Ethan, Daena and Cabryn,
they loved it and asked for the recipe.
I didn’t have chakalaka in my cupboard, but I had a tin of Indian Style tomato and onion mix.
I used that instead.  Very good!

Here is a chakalaka recipe for those who can’t find the tins in their stores:
You’ll get the idea of what you can put in and what the end result will be…
6 Roma tomatoes, halved
100 g cauliflower florets
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 T olive oil
1 T oregano
1 carrot, sliced julienne
1 red bell pepper
1 onion
2 green, deseeded, chillies
1 t ground coriander
1 t ground cumin
1 t garam marsala
1 t curry powder
1 T turmeric
1 T oil
1 cup beef stock
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste


No comments:

Post a Comment