Wednesday, October 8, 2014

"A New Earth"

 


Wow!  This book by Eckhart Tolle took me the last two days of our holiday to read.  I haven't been able to do that for years!

I knew my magazine and my book I took with me on holiday would be finished before the holiday was so I browsed in a second-hand book shop in Seadoone for something pleasing to read. 
I was drawn to this book.  I remember it was quite the talk a few years ago.

I found it interesting with familiar ideas clothed in fresh words.

These are the quotes I wrote down.

"To sin means to miss the mark... miss the point of human existence... to live unskilfully, blindly and thus to suffer and cause suffering." p 9
"You do not become good by trying to be good, but by finding the goodness that is already within you and allowing that goodness to emerge.  But it can only emerge if something fundamental changes in your state of consciousness." p 13
"If you can recognise illusion as illusion, it dissolves."  p 28
"In the seeing of who you are not, the reality of who you are emerges." p 28
"Non reaction is not weakness but strength.  Another word for non reaction is forgiveness." p 63
"To forgive is to overlook, or rather to look through... to the sanity that is in every human being as his or her essence."  p 63
"You are most powerful, most effective, when you are completely yourself." p 108
"It is always the case that both victim and perpetrator suffer the consequences of any act of violence, oppression or brutality." p 159
"Being present is infinitely more powerful than anything one can say or do..." p 176
"Knowing the oneness of yourself and the other is true love, true care, true compassion." p 177
"... whatever you think the world is withholding from you, you are withholding from the world."  p 190
"You cannot receive what you don't give.  What can I give here; how can I be of service to this person, this situation?" p 191
"... everywhere new life grows out of rotting and decaying matter." p 195
"What pollution is on the outer level, is negativity on the inner." p 213
"You are never more essentially, more deeply yourself, than when you are still." p 256
"... the more spiritually ignorant you are, the more you suffer." p 284
"Enthusiasm 'wants' nothing because it lacks nothing."  p 303
Live in these:  "Acceptance." p 296  "Enjoyment."  p 297  "Enthusiasm." p 301

No comments:

Post a Comment