Thursday, December 11, 2014

Apricot Jam Galore!

I asked Glenn not to pick more than one batch of jam a day...
Then the tree ripened! and I had jam in all stages all around me for days.
We had load shedding so it was a matter of timing the batches so I could finish
before the electricity went off for four hours a day.
 
I thought - I can do this on the gas...
And then it dawned on me why our mothers used  the
bath method of preserving - to heat the bottles on the stove-top,
rather than in the oven like I do.
 
I'd rather time my jam-making for when the bottles sterilize in the oven.
 
I have small pots - I don't need big ones any more.
I do 500 or 600 g batches of apricots and the same weight of sugar at a time.

 

The next batch...
I decided to do one and a half batches in my two bigger pots.
My eyes were peeled and ready as they foamed up...
and perilously close to the rims of the pots.




Jarom and Than were fascinated with my process.
 
They decided to go and do some too with the apricots I sent to Nadia.
They came back delightedly with their news of success.
 

Still three more batches - tomorrow!
And the ripening ones still to do later.


Time for some time-out.
 
The gardens were lovely!
The repairs to the washed away gabions continues.
Amazing how work done every day makes a difference!
Upstream...
 


And downstream...




My walk to the waterfall.
I love coming here because I can walk by myself and feel almost
completely at peace regarding my personal safety.
 

 
I love the undergrowth.
The damp woodsey smell was lovely!


I love the rocks in the garden and the river.

 



I realise that steadfast rocks collect debris when there is a storm.
The rocks will not be moved, but the rubbish will rot and wash away in time.



I love to pause and enjoy the details.


 


And back to apricot jam again - if there is no loadshedding today. 
"They" say there will not be until Thursday.
I counted the bottles I have done - 39 so far!
My four year supply is replenished!

No comments:

Post a Comment