Sunday, December 21, 2014

Footloose - Mthatha

I wrote this when we were travelling the last time.
I don't believe I posted it...


Astonishing!
Gridlock in Mthatha in the middle of the former Transkei!  Pondoland, Wildcoast territory.  We sat for ages as cars tried to make their way on roads jammed with selfish drivers unwilling to yield their ground and let someone through, which would have cleared the way for someone else to get through.

I thought I just have to keep my eyes away from it all or I will get crazily frustrated.  I bowed my head and read this and that about where we were and where we were going.  Blaring music… All is well, all is well!  Tabernacle choir singing "Come, come ye Saints!"  Glenn rolled down his window to see where it was coming from.  I thought maybe one of the bustling shops across the road.  Glenn thought the church across the road.  Unlikely looking LDS chapel if it came from there, I thought. 
 
Glenn figured out after several more hymns gloriously wafted loudly over the frustrated drivers wanting to move in all four directions, that it was from three young men in the island between the two main thoroughfare going in opposite directions.  They had set up a little generator feeding their CD player and about knee high speakers.  They looked as though they were selling Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD’s. 
 
I thought Well, if anything will bring some peace and order to this mayhem, the Tabernacle Choir should be able to.  I hope they sold some of their CD’s…   Might bring some peace and cooperation to this little town!

No comments:

Post a Comment