Monday, September 28, 2015

Thoughts on our Journey Home

I was interested to change from Etihad Airlines to
South African Airlines at Abu Dhabi.
Immediately I thought...
"Ah yes... we are back with our fellow countrymen... (black and white.)"
There was wonderful management of passengers with Etihad Airlines
and amazing disorder and entitlement with South African Airways passengers.
The staff gave up trying to order the ranks.

We arrived at OR Tambo Airport.
Breezed through passport control.
Waited two hours for our luggage at the baggage carousel.
Discovered along the way that there was a baggage handler's strike.
I thought matter-of-factly... "Yes we are in South Africa again."

I watched the SAA stewardesses waiting for their luggage off the carousel.
They were like a bunch of young adults dressed in 
stewardess uniforms but definitely "off duty."
I felt a little sad.  This is how I think: 
"OK when you are out of uniform, not OK when you are in uniform..."
I doubt that would have been acceptable for Etihad stewardesses.

That being said...
I felt an 'attitude' at Abu Dhabi airport.
I felt like we foreigners, and we women, were tolerated for 
the revenue we bring to their country.
I hope I am wrong.
I suspect I am not.

Friday morning I went to the temple.
My first time driving here.
I drove my normal route.

There is a big project happening along the way.
I'm not sure what it is yet. Large excavations. 
At one point - in the dark - I slammed on brakes.
I'm glad I was not distracted or going faster!
There, right in front of me, were unlit barriers surrounding 
open road works right across my lane!

I thought "Ah yes... we do things in our ways here."
Coming from "Think safety" England to here is certainly
moving from "We will let you know what we are doing...
and do everything to ensure your safety"
to "Look out for yourself."

Being a passenger there is filled with anxiety for me (I didn't drive)
with the narrow roads.
Driving here is filled with added vigilence for me 
(anxiety of another kind) - 
Prepare for the unexpected!
It might well happen! 

I guess we become accustomed to where we live.
I must say I am deeply uplifted to be around our 
bright vibrant colours here again.
I am loving the Spring green all around!

Glenn and I arrived home definitely 'under the weather' healthwise.
It's a few days later and Glenn is further ahead than me.
I am still a coughing mucous factory.
I look forward to feeling hale and hearty again soon.

Heritage Day (public holiday here) was Thursday,
Doug, Nadia and girls are at a Young Women Camp.
I've yet to see Nadia and Jarom.
We were so tired when we got home after 
being awake mostly for around 44 hours so we hibernated.
I know Nadia wanted to come and Doug shielded us.

Dom and Cindy popped in the following day.
Lovely to be home!
Miss you hugely!
I have been singing the song
"I've grown accustomed to (your) face(s)"

Henry Higgins sang...

"I've grown accustomed to her face
She almost makes the day begin
I've grown accustomed to the tune
That she whistles night and noon
Her smiles, her frowns
Her ups, her downs
Are second nature to me now
Like breathing out, breathing in
I was serenely independent and content before we met
Surely I could always be that way again and yet
I've grown accustomed to her looks
Accustomed to her voice
Accustomed to her face"


I have some empathy with him.

I miss you my beloveds in England.
I'm really glad we could spend time with you.
See you next year if at all possible.
In the meantime,
You are in my mind and in my heart.
May your hearts turn to your parents and grand-parents here.
We look forward to your contacts with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment